Gluten-free Bread Recipe
I've tried a bunch of store bought brands and they always taste like my mom's diet bread from the 80s. My daughter and I made this recipe together. It was so fun! And it tastes like bread.
SOFT GLUTEN-FREE SANDWICH BREAD
1½ cup water or almond milk
4 Tbsp honey
2½ tsp dry active yeast (Be sure your yeast is fresh and alive.)
3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour mix
1½ tsp xanthan gum (in addition to what’s already in the Gluten-Free flour mix)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Feel free to add sweet or savory seasonings to taste.
2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
2 large eggs (see options for egg-free below)
1) Preheat your oven to 375º F.
2) In measuring cup, measure and warm milk to just above body temperature—should be warm
to the touch (not hot or cold). Stir in honey and add yeast last. Set aside and let proof for
approximately 10 minutes.
3) Combine dry mix ingredients in small bowl.
4) Combine wet mix ingredients in bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix just
for a few seconds.
5) Add in the proofed yeast mix and mix again for just a few seconds.
6) Add the dry mix and beat on medium-high for approximately 3 minutes. Dough will be wet, but
thick and sticky!
7) If necessary, oil and flour your 9x5 loaf pan or spray with non-stick coating. Using a spatula,
scrape the bread mixture into your prepared loaf pan and set on top of your stove to proof while
the oven is preheating. Be sure to smooth out the loaf with spatula or wet fingers before proofing
as the loaf will not smooth out itself.
It is important not to over-proof the bread—just let it rise until the mixture is approximately double in
size (20-30 minutes depending on your room temperature). Don’t let it rise above your loaf pan… just
until it crests the top. Gluten-free breads do not maintain their structure and will flow over the pan or
collapse if left to over-rise or over-filled.
8) Bake for approximately 30-45 minutes. If the crust is darkening too quickly, you can cover it with
foil (tent open ended) and return to baking until done. (Cook until you get an internal
temperature of 210-220º F. on a digital thermometer).
9) Remove loaf pan from oven and let cool for 3-5 minutes before turning out onto your cooling
rack. Allow to cool completely before attempting to cut into slices. An electric knife works well.